GCReading

GCReading

Love all things books, music, and movies!

Founder of Good Choice Reading Reviews & Bookish Event Coordinator.

Magnolia by Kristi Cook - Review

Magnolia - Kristi Cook

MAGNOLIA
by Kristi Cook Hardcover, 384 pages
Expected publication: August 5th 2014
by Simon & Schuster

In Magnolia Branch, Mississippi, the Cafferty and Marsden families are southern royalty. Neighbors since the Civil War, the families have shared vacations, holidays, backyard barbecues, and the overwhelming desire to unite their two clans by marriage. So when a baby boy and girl were born to the families at the same time, the perfect opportunity seemed to have finally arrived.

Jemma Cafferty and Ryder Marsden have no intention of giving in to their parents’ wishes. They’re only seventeen, for goodness’ sake, not to mention that one little problem: They hate each other! Jemma can’t stand Ryder’s nauseating golden-boy persona, and Ryder would like nothing better than to pretend stubborn Jemma doesn’t exist.

But when a violent storm ravages Magnolia Branch, it unearths Jemma’s and Ryder’s true feelings for each other as the two discover that the line between love and hate may be thin enough to risk crossing over.

GoodReadsAmazonB&NiBooks

First, I would like to point out that if you do a research on this website you will see that I rarely EVER read and review young adult contemporary. I've always had a hard time getting into contemporary YA, and usually give up halfway through the book. I was lucky enough to receive an early copy of MAGNOLIA, and it’s now one of my favorites! It has opened my eyes for YA contemporary, and since then I have read about fifteen YA contemporaries.

I think a big part of it was my obsession with natural disasters, and romance. I am always worried about hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, etc. It creeps me out to the point that I DO NOT watch the news. I also do not go to the beach because the ocean freaks me out. If I can avoid anything that has to do with the ocean, I do. Go ahead… laugh. I laugh at myself all the time, but it’s true. :)

Anyway, when I read the blurb to MAGNOLIA I immediately got hooked. I knew it was something I would really enjoy. It sounded like a very unique story, and something I haven't read before. I dived into the story and did not want to come out. Everything I had hoped for, and more was inside this story. Kristi Cook managed to blend together family, friendships, romance, and a disaster into one, perfectly. I am not sure if it’s my obsession with storms and natural disasters, but while reading I was literally waiting for the moment that all hell would break loose. The suspense was killing me!

I also loved the way Kristi Cook set things up for Ryder and Jemma. Things happen at the right moment, and I couldn't help but keep turning the pages. And the way they come to realize that they actually do care for each other was so amazingly sweet. The ending I did not see coming, but it was PERFECT! Not sure if there is more to come, but I sure hope so. I would love to get lost inside Ryder and Jemma’s world again.

MAGNOLIA is a beautiful tale of love, family, and unbreakable friendships. The perfect blend of family drama and sexy times, it’s an A+ read from beginning to end. It’s clean, and great for parents and their teens to share and talk about.

A Good Choice for Reading! :0)

Source: http://www.goodchoicereading.com/2014/07/magnoliareview.html